Thursday, May 27, 2010

Too Busy For Jesus?

Life is so busy.  It can really sweep you up into it's whirlwind.  And that's where I have been...in the whirlwind.  I've been very busy with so many good things, I haven't made time for the best things.  I really don't have any excuse.   My life reminds me of the story of Jesus' visit to Mary and Martha found in Luke 10:38-41.


"Now as they (the disciples and Jesus) were traveling along, He (Jesus) entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word.

But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.” But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” NAS
 
I, like Martha, am concerned with why no one else seems to be helping.  Martha had the nerve to ask Jesus if he cared that Mary was not helping and proceeds to tell Him to tell Mary to help.  Martha put her will upon God, the creator of the universe.  She demanded that He do what she wanted...give me some help! My attitude has been like Martha in so many ways. 

In the Luke 10 passage, it doesn't tell us if Martha sits down to listen or if she fusses with Mary after Jesus leaves.  What we do learn; however, is that  Mary chose what "shall not be taken away" (listening and learning from Jesus = a relationship with God and spiritual growth).  And that's a mouthful spoken in few words. 

All of the other things that keep us busy shall be taken away in time...children leave the nest, work deadlines pass, retirement will come, practice schedules cease, house work, church work, yard work, etc. etc. etc. won't last.   Only what we do for Christ will last.

The best thing is to spend time with God listening for his direction and learning from the wisdom found in the Scripture.  We still have tasks to do but when we choose to sit at the feet of Jesus like Mary did, we choose the good part and we approach the rest of it with proper perspective.  I must admit, I am more like Martha at times...being consumed by the tasks that need to be done.  I spend time doing things while losing sight of why or for whom I am doing them.   What a shame...I am ashamed.

Are you choosing what shall not be taken away from you?  Do you have time sitting at Jesus' feet?  Please share with us how you fit your "quiet time" into your schedule?  Has God been teaching you something to teach us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?